Below is a list of trends that stick out and help to point us in the right direction:
1) China's military buildup
2) Increasing tensions in the South China Sea
3) Donald Trump not backing down to China on trade/North Korea or any issue
4) Closer ties between the 3 amigos, Xi Jin Ping, Putin and Kim Jong Un
5) South Korea capitulating to China
6) Increased tension between China and Taiwan
7) Growing hostility towards U.S. diplomats in both communist nations of Cuba and China
Looking at these trends 2019 does not look very good. Is there any bright spot? What about the talks with Kim Jong Un in Singapore? 2019 seems to hinge on large part as to what happens with those talks. If Trump seizes the moment and real progress is made with North Korea one could argue for a silver lining in this big geopolitical mess. However, if those talks do not live up to expectations there is much to say about increased geopolitical fallout and the risk of war.
If Donald Trump is able to bring Kim Jong Un under his wing so to speak and possibly become a wedge between him and China, then all of a sudden there is hope for confronting China on all these other issues including Taiwan and the South China Sea, etc.